PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2013, 23:12
Captain_P_Car_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thanks

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Apologies for the hiatus/delay in my next message. My 'lesson tomorrow' turned out to be cancelled for weather so it was just a meet/greet with my instructor.

With a few things to be taken care of, it was 2 months before I could organise my next lesson.. hence this next entry.

First of all, I'll just answer a couple of queries/comments made so far:

1. Sorry if you don't want to read my diary! If not, don't!

2. 'already a captain?'. Yes, this was in homage/parody to Captain Picard (as a Star Trek fan!) and Captain Martin Crieff, who addresses himself as Captain all the time to everyone, wherever possible. It's also a play on words as P Car is contained in my name... hmm, put too much thought into this.

3. Thanks for encouragement, everyone else.

Ok, so I suppose lesson 1 will be very familiar to all of you, so instead of talking about what I learnt, I'll just point out things that I found unusual/interesting for you guys.

I'm learning in a Cessna 152. The cockpit seems pretty dated, but probably ideal for a beginner. I've already become fairly accustomed to reading the instruments and interpreting them as I flew myself, which I was pretty happy with.

One thing I noticed was that I got airsick! Ha! I didn't think of that one. My dreams of being a fighter pilot may be shattered It was a fairly windy day, and we kept between 1-3000ft as the cloud level was quite low.

Would you guys recommend anything for this, or do you think it is something I'd get used to?

Another thing I was quite pleased with was anticipating what was going to happen when I changed something (like the flaps) and was able to co-ordinate myself. I think being able to drive and ride a motorbike helps you out here as you are maybe more accustomed to having to think of a few things at once.

I'm flying out of RAF Wickenby, former home of 12 sqn. The instructor, Steve, is excellent, and was happy to change his teaching style for my way of learning (which is, don't tell me anything, please ASK me first).

All in all, an excellent experience and I'm looking forward to lesson 2 already. Finally, at age 35, my dream is becoming realised!