PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2013, 21:35
busTRE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An airbus can stall in normal law, although the only normal law, no failure incident that I am aware of is a severe windshear that momentarily outpaced the EFCS. The crew pulled back in sheer terror and this action along with the EFCS saved the day. The EFCS quickly unstalled the wing then maintained max alpha to rapidly recover the A/C from a 4000 fpm descent below 1000 aal.

As this example shows in a huge number of cases simply trusting the system IS the right thing to do. For example, Airbus FBWs can carry out terrain avoidance maneuvres that are simply impossible on other types. An outfit I am 'familiar with' had just such an incident, full back stick on receipt of the hard 'pull up' just saved them (rad alt at the peak around 40ft). They trusted the system in this instance as they are rightly trained to do and it saved them. Had they pulled to some other less restrictive parameter or not just got on with it (as you suggest) it is highly likely the A/C would have been lost.

In very many circumstances crews are quite right to trust the EFCS to help them out and I believe a number of A/C and pilots) are still flying today because the system helped them. There is a training issue around educating crews when to trust it and when not to and what to do if it isn't doing what it should. But that is entirely different from the claim that 'children of the magenta' as so many ignorant (in the literal sense) posters have it, only know how to fly a computer.

Last edited by busTRE; 15th Jun 2013 at 21:36.