PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which job market is better US or Canada?
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2003, 00:49
stud_lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Canadian and live in the US and have worked in both countries. Put it this way, a "bad" US economy still has more and better jobs than a “good” Canadian economy. The Liberal Government keeps saying how “good” things are and how the economy is “booming”, but it doesn’t look too hot from my end. Makes me wonder what “good” really means these days.

I'm working independently right now and things are very bad in the US, but I know from contacts that things are much worse up there, except for Alberta where they are benefiting from high oil prices. But that will most likely change after Kyoto comes into fruition.

As well, the work environment and culture is much less ridged down here and it’s easier to get promotions. Employers are also nowhere near as picky when it comes to qualifications. In Canada, they expect you to know the world even for an entry level position.

Working for the civil service is another story, however. It’s a really good job in Canada compared to the US.

I don’t really miss it too much anymore, but I miss my family a lot and I know things are really bad here right now. Still, I shudder to think of what would happen if I was in the same situation living up in Canada.

Granny: There are both federal and a provincial taxes. Federal taxes in Canada are traditionally lower than those in the US or Europe, but provincial taxes are very high. Combining the two, you will pay a very high rate...BC's is one of the highest in the country.