PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ferry pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2013, 08:27
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Debiassi, there are a few good ferry pilots out there, and some who I would never trust with my turbos or turbines. As I said in an earlier post, ferrying as a profession does require certain qualities, but I don't think exceptional flying skill - or even smarts - is essential. A few of the guys I associated with were, to put it kindly, pretty damn ordinary. Some, to the point of being downright rough.
Many moons ago I was at Tarawa when a C337 came through in an awful hurry. He topped off the tanks and blasted off. Lucky for him I was next at the fuel point and noticed the wing tank fuel cap on the ground. It took another hour of frantic to and fro with Nadi on HF to get the silly bugger turned around. There are other horror stories, but I won't bore you.
Now that we have GPS, a competent IFR pilot can most certainly tackle the Pacific. There is nothing in ICAO or state rules that says otherwise.

Whether insurers would accept a particular pilot would depend on many factors, such as overall experience, time on type, recency etc. Knowing insurers, there would probably be a loading on the premium if the aircraft was tanked to an overweight condition. If the trip was within the normal fuel range of the aircraft, any excess would be more likely a result of the territory being traversed e.g. politically-unstable countries.

But 'competent' is the key-word. I would rather trust someone I knew to be responsible, safe and with time on type to deliver my pride and joy in preference to an unknown, no matter what spin the ferry company may give me.

If only the GPS system collapsed and we had to return to astro, there would be a stronger case to claim ferrying as an exclusive skill.