PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2013, 08:16
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
In 1975-6, I was fortunate enough to have 3 back seat rides in WA669 'Clementine', one of the 2 Brawdy meatboxes, during air-to-air firing sorties. The take-off brief included a brief for assistance with full rudder in the appropriate direction, should an engine fail....

A fascinating experience; the speed had to be kept in a narrow band between safe single engine speed and banner towing limiting speed. I was allowed a brief couple of minutes stick time at height and found the control harmony excellent.

After the banner was released at the end of the sortie, we'd go out to the IP and run in for the break. Another critical aspect of T Mk 7 flying than became apparent - after double checking that the airbrakes were in, the landing gear was lowered but always came down asymmetrically - requiring some deft and essential footwork to keep the ball in the middle.

I was surprised that few of my fellow students took the opportunity of a trip in the venerable old beast - I thought it was something which shouldn't be missed.

More Meteor tales in this old thread: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...tatistics.html