PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool to Skiathos Greece
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2013, 07:07
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alland2012

Skiathos is quite challenging for most airliners due to it being short, the runway having a hump and the unusual surrounding hills that the runway is built between.

From both ends the runway gives the visual impression that you are too low when infact you are on the correct vertical approach path and of you give in to the visual picture you will land late, this results in you chasing the runway downhill and that is never a good idea !

After a bit of practice you can get the approach path correct and this will result in a touchdown in the correct place that makes the company mandated max auto brake unnecessary.

The company I worked for mandated a special check out for Skiathos and this resultd in only the pilots who liked to fly ( rather than manage) aircraft going to the place.

As with all short runways it is all about being in the right place at the right speed and in the right configuration, I learned my craft putting a DR400 into a 340 m farm strip with obstructions a both ends, at the time I had no clue what good training this would be for putting a 79 tonne jet into places like Skiathos.

Last edited by A and C; 15th Jun 2013 at 07:09.