PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 21:17
Danny42C

Meteors Ancient and Modern.

Beagle,

Another wonderful link ! Following it, and looking at the first picture of the three T7s, it occurs to me:

(a) In what Golden Age did the RAF have so many bowsers that it could refuel three aircraft "one to one" at the same time ?

(b) Was I the only one to have a sensation of claustrophobic doom when that huge barred canopy swung down over your head, and clanged into position with an awful finality ?

(c) Was ever aircraft bulled-up like the one nearest camera ? Truly, "Motorists wise - SIMONIZE !" (as we used to say)......D.

Fixed Cross and 26er,

With barely 40 hours on type as a stude, I stand in awe of your depth of experience ! As far as I can remember the survival techniques we were taught, the main thing was: "Do not go below 150 knots until the landing is 'in the bag'."

Fixed Cross, I think you meant "more than 120 knots" on finals". The idea of a 600 ft decision height sounds sensible. The Bloggs of my day was left with the belief that, with 120 knots, you could go-around almost from the threshold. The "Middleton Ghost", I was told, tried a roller on one when he was running out of runway, but the bird would'nt fly. He careered off cross-country, it was just hard luck that the Mess got in his way after that.

Too true, speed was/is our friend. A slow prang in the overshoot is always preferable to a fast one in the undershoot !.....D

Blacksheep and ricardian,

Yes, it would seem that the last gasp of the Meteor was as a target tug (might have ended my days on that job, as it turned out)......D.

EDIT: Blacksheep, your Thornaby Meteor would have been the single one that 608 Squadron had for I/F training and Rating tests. Hours on it were closely guarded, I never got to fly it (not that I particularly wanted to, as Vampires were on tap all time). From the cockpits, it would be long way for an 8 yr old to fall - hope they looked after you.......D.

Cheers to you all,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 14th Jun 2013 at 21:58. Reason: Premature Post