PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 14:27
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To express the comment thanking 'PK and his team for again making a laughing stock stock out of BHX' could be termed injurious to his and their professional standing.
As could proposing the ridiculous scheme in the first place.

I quote you: 'Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, or traducement—is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation'.
Err - emphasis on the false my friend.

Saying someone is making the airport the laughing stock is quite different from saying they are the laughing stock, but even the latter would be quite legitimate.

I suggest you look into the original history of "laughing stocks", and then see if any of the modern PC law could be applied over and above this to validate your claim. I would then suggest that it quite clearly could not, as business leaders are not (yet) a protected minority, and even if they were, the criticism is still being made of the lamentable proposal, not of the individual making it.

I am not involved with the running of BHX but after 45 years in the media I know only too well how easy it is to cross that line between fair and honest criticism and libel...
Well I suggest you stick to the media and leave the law to the lawyers. It is patently obvious to anyone who is even half awake that there is nothing libelous on this thread in respect of the completely daft 2nd runway plans.

Now if "destruction of reputation" was an offence in its own right, then I suggest a swift entry of the number 9 into your telephone key pay, repeated twice, to report it.

The address where the offence would be taking place is:

Birmingham Airport Limited
Birmingham
B26 3QJ

To assist the boys in blue with their enquiries, please remind them that ample parking space for their chopper is available.