PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flaps 3 landing A320 to save fuel
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:14
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 207 Likes on 42 Posts
Why are guys with 125 hours doing F3 landing? In our outfit it's forbidden until their experience of FF is consolidated and they then have additional training to be shown the differences with F3. If their performance is not satisfactory at F3, they remain restricted to FF - and may even go back to the sim.

Presumably Los, you were a Skygod the first time you flew a jet and never used the Speedbrake? Of course someone with low experience is going to have to work a lot harder - but at least it shows they're thinking and trying to do something about it AND LEARNING IN THE PROCESS. I've seen guys with 1000's of hours make a complete b0ll0x of an approach by trying to be clever - unaware of their, or the aircrafts limits and SA leaving a lot to be desired.

As for OETD - I agree that some airfields or at night it is not appropriate. However, at AMS, BCN, MUC, MAD etc it is a NON EVENT. The PF taxis the aircraft, the PNF starts the engine. If there is a problem STOP and tell ATC. It is not difficult - just use common sense.

I'm not some mouth foaming management stooge - but I really don't see what the issue with OETD is. Presumably it's too distracting to do OETA as well? I get the impression that some people are just bloody minded and will not make any attempt to adapt on the flimsiest of excuses. It's like taking an extra tonne "because I'm the Captain, and I can"

Time for a coffee........