PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 07:31
Fixed Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assymetric Practice on the Meteor.

Dredging the past through fading memory and old Log books I recall being one of the last pilots to qualify on the Meteor (1971) at CFS. My conversion training stressed the necessity to keep the IAS at less than 120Kts on finals when only on one engine and the absolute essential of making a commitment decision (land or overshoot) at 600ft.

Keeping in balance on one at 120 Kts involved vast rudder/leg forces if any thrust was applied on the live engine. Moreover, the port engine supplied the pneumatic pressure (brakes); the starboard provided the hydraulic (u/c). The choice had to be well anticipated whether committed to land or overshoot. Get it wrong and the Meatbox was very unforgiving.

Almost all difficulties stemmed from the 120 kts approach speed. This seemed to be a residue of the earlier days when runways were fairly short and stopping more of a challenge on jets. Flying finals at 140 kts minimum removed most of the handling problems! Most runways offered at least 2000 yds in the 70s and diversion to longer landing strips was usually available.

As I was suffering the post of fast jet trapper I was able to raise the finals speed to min 140 kts. (Very few active Meatbox pilots left). Life on finals on one became less problematical. Later, flying the Meatbox on 79 at Chivenor/Brawdy seemed a very "gentlemanly pastime".

On a final note regarding the alarming toll of accidents practicing assymetric approaches, as I was about to fly my first Meatbox solo my instructor gave me a final piece of advice. If you have a real engine failure do a run and break from 600 ft (on one about 250 kts plus), close the live throttle over the caravan, break high onto the downwind and do a dead stick landing-works every time.