PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 Single Door Safety
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 00:20
mushroom69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some friends actually went off the end of the runway and into water after hitting the crest of a hill and bashing the gear all the way round into the bottom of the wing and deforming the PA28 door. They were in the surf, water filling, very cold and all badly bruised by the shoulder harnessī. Nevertheless, they were able to kick the screens out and exit. All saved, no serious injuries.

I would not count on that though and so do what the "big" guys do and carry a crash ax. I had a regular ax with me in aircraft that were loaded and had doors in the back, like PA31s, 441s, 404s and PA46s. If need be, I was ready to go through the front.

That being said, I have flown a lot in both (12000hours +) and each has their advantages. I would not choose one on the basis of the doors. Personally, I prefer the Pipers. This is a discussion as old as the two models, there is no "right" answer....so pick the one YOU prefer, for what-ever reasons and enjoy it to the upmost!

In case you are thinking of asking why I like the Piper......having picked up many new ones from the factories, the Pipers always had fewer issues as new. I like that the wing is not in the way at the airport in the landing pattern. You get all that great visibility of the ground in cruise in the Cessna, then just when you want to see the ground at the airport, the wing is now suddenly in the way. I have often had to move a lot of things in airplanes, as I USED them. The Piper rear seats come right out, giving me a great place for tents, sleeping bags, bikes, cartons of tools, boxes of fish etc. If you donīt have these needs, then it might not be an issue.

A third choice and one that has always appealed to me, is the Grumman Tiger. It has the advantages of the Piper, yet is much faster than an Arrow, while on a fixed-pitch prop and fixed gear, making it far less expensive to run for great perfomance. Open the canopy on a warm day while taxi-ing out, rear seat can also disappear for you. But.......no nose wheel steering, so it takes a bit of getting used to.

Again....enjoy your choice!