PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2013, 20:57
Killface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original procurement of the F-22 was to be 750 aircraft
yes in 1990.,before the USSR dissolved. the number was rounded down to around 400 post fall BTW. if the F-35 is only procured in 30 percent of what is required that damns the air force and the marines, and the even the navy to a big extent.

find it interesting that both Gen Mosley and Secretary Wynne were willing to “fall on their swords” for the F-22.
did you take a look at all the programs that were cut and aircraft retired to free up funds for the F-22 under those two? and how secretary of defense made sure to pick someone not from fighters to head the air force and the subsequent curtailment of the aircraft? Edit: just be clear, i'm not talking about why they were fired. I'm talking about what was sacrificed on the F-22 alter under them before the B-52 incident. It was not a coincidence that the general that replaced Mosely was no fan of the F-22.

However if, as is presented in the video below, there is a possibility we might just encounter an advisory with more capable weapons systems, then the F-22’s air-to-air capability will be critical.
it sure will be! as will the F-35 in that case. I think there is a need for the F-22, I just don't feel we need more than we have. its a niche aircraft that can't be exported, and is only fielded by one service. its superb but its at such cost that its damn near unfeasible.

Last edited by Killface; 14th Jun 2013 at 02:18.