PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the problems with FDs?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2013, 20:17
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, abiding by the simple rule, if the aircraft does not do what you want it to do, grab control (physically do it yourself with stick, rudder and throttle) solves all problems.

Proper understanding and use of automation is required on all types of aircraft.

Wonderful. I think this debate is going round in circles and has ended up where it was some years ago prompted by other threads. 1st point is a training/experience issue, but sadly due to lack of training it might increase problems. But that should not be the case.

2nd point is also a training issue and has not been addressed by the XAA's or companies. I've been involved for many years in TQ training. The change that the customers have introduced is minimum sim training time to pass LST due to self payment versus training to a higher standard than LST. I do not know what standard they train manual flying to on the line, but the reports of incidents on here lead me to suspect not very high.

In some companies there has definitely been a philosophy to reduce the amount of stick & rudder use on the line due to cock ups. This is the attitude of "if they don't know what they are doing, or don't know how to to, then don't let them do it." IMHO this is an accident looking for a place to happen. Sometime, something will go wrong. The sharp end jockeys need to be able to sort it out. The pax expect this. I wonder if the XAA"s do? Not everything is in a QRH. Often some lateral out of the box thinking is required to save the day. The sort of thing a 'cabin attendant' could not sort out....if you get my drift. The sort of thing we should be educated in every 6 months, not the routine boring trained monkey stuff. After 30 years if I can't handle a V1 cut I should be driving the crew bus, if there was one. I've done it 60 times in a sim. The OPC/LPC is in need of a reality check. You know you are going to get a SE G/A from a SE ILS. There is no surprise. You know you are going to get an RTO. Surely there needs to be some reality/surprise introduced into the prof' checks. The 6 month merry-go-round is not such a sure method of maintaining standards. It's a tick in the box and I've seen some lax application of pass criteria in my time.

The more the companies decide that we need to be just button pushers the more they will train to that idea. Then they will write such comprehensive SOP's as to make us robotic trained monkeys. Then they can pay us peanuts to sit in the sun all day. It's a great conspiracy, and it's happening in an airline near you.