PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2013, 18:03
Bevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Killface
I think its because the Air Force has liked to maintain a hi/lo mix for decades though. or that General Mosely was willing to sacrifice large swaths of the USAF to get a fighter pilot crown jewel.
I find it interesting that both Gen Mosley and Secretary Wynne were willing to “fall on their swords” for the F-22.

The immediate reason for the requested resignations of Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley, the Air Force chief of staff, and Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne was a report on the accidental shipment of nuclear triggers to Taiwan. However, the dismissals came amid a long-brewing dispute between Gates and the Air Force leadership.

Gates has been critical of Air Force officials' calls to build more F-22 fighter jets, an advanced but expensive plane. He also has been frustrated over what he sees as insufficient deployment of unmanned aerial vehicles over Iraq and Afghanistan.
LINK

Originally Posted by Killface. I'm not saying that the F-22 isn't a superb fighter, at an astronomical cost, that only poisons its pilots occasionally,
The original procurement of the F-22 was to be 750 aircraft. The final procurement is 137. The current F-35 program assumes procurement of 2,443 aircraft. I submit that if the F-35 number is cut by the same 75% the overall cost will be much higher than the F-22 program.

And who builds the OBOGS for the F-35 .... Honewyell
Honeywell Aerospace in the UK produce and supply Air Management and Life Support Systems for civil and military aircraft. It has vast experience and capability in Life Support, from a background of traditional, high pressure, stored gaseous and liquid oxygen to today’s On Board Oxygen Generation Systems (OBOGS). The consolidation of experience on the B-1B, B-2, F-22 and Eurofighter aircraft, and other state-of-the-art systems made it capable of being readily tailored to many different single/twin seat and multicrew aircraft and, ultimately, selection for the F-35.
LINK

Originally Posted by Killface. I am talking about the F-22 as a system and its own political fights for survival and what some call "dubious value", others call "essential for the future" There are a great many, that much like sweetman and the F-35, thought it should be cancelled outright and its systems and lessons should be incorporated into a new fighter, rather than doggedly sticking with the F-22 "no matter the cost".
There is no doubt that if we are only to fight “wars” such as Iraq and Afghanistan then we should mothball all the F-22s and cancel the F-35 program. However if, as is presented in the video below, there is a possibility we might just encounter an advisory with more capable weapons systems, then the F-22’s air-to-air capability will be critical.

See CAPT Fanell’s comments starting at 0:21:00
Panel: Chinese Navy: Operational Challenge or Potential Partner? - YouTube