PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical accident Chieftain at Tullamarine airport.
Old 13th Jun 2013, 01:41
porch monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is a failure in part of the system, then anything is possible. The engine can over boost, and one of the contributing factors can be cold engine oil, for example. Not unheard of at all. Sensor failure, stuck waste gate, there are a multitude of reasons. Which is why there is a red line maximum on the gauge. You aren't to exceed that particular limit. Keep in mind, that if there is a problem with the governor system, that can also affect the output. My statement that the boost controller limits the hp is aplied to a correctly set and functioning engine. I thought you would have taken that for granted.

Also, the ATSB does not cover themselves in glory with the Whyalla investigation. I suggest you might want to research that a little more.

The 3 minute limit is for take off power, as I stated in my post. The max continuous limit is lower. Only applies to the stc aircraft, not the bog standard one. Also, your quote is not from my post, but I'll answer it anyway.....

Having reread the appendix you quote, Braly's engine produced 2% more power. It did not produce 375. That is extrapolated , therefore assumed. Once you operate outside the certification limits for any engine, you can get all sorts of results. Both good and bad. A TIO 540, in good repair, and operated within the limits prescibed by the manufacturer will give you 350 hp, maybe 1% more or less. Are we going to argue about 1 or 2%, which would be well within tolerances? Keep in mind, engines are certified on the basis that they do not produce LESS than rated power.

Last edited by porch monkey; 13th Jun 2013 at 02:22.