PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC DELAYS
Thread: ATC DELAYS
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2013, 01:18
Bedder believeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Famil flights and ATC visits

A few weeks ago I offered to conduct a number of groups (maximum of three per group) of flight crew around the ATC complex, on what I hoped would be, more than a casual walk through, to see operations in the tower and radar centre. This was to be conducted in my own time. I received about 10 expressions of interest and finally was able to gather together a small group (three) of CX pilots, who fitted into my time frame and theirs. As it was, the three that came along got a pretty good look at ATC in Hong Kong. I think we were together for about 4 hours all told. Not too many flight crew are prepared to put in the effort to use that much of their spare time. The ten past ten AEL (after a quick dash from bay E17) beckons.
LIkewise, it can be difficult for controllers to get the famil trips that would be so advantageous. The issues involved include time, apathy, red tape, a feeling of insecurity/uneasiness - particularly among the more junior controllers, and just no one to give them that "push". Well my apologies to "IGS" as he has done a hell of a lot to get young controllers on to flights over times past, but he is effectively "gone". Part of the problem is that famil flight excursions are required to backed by a report, and in my mind, this should be scrapped. It would be good if rated ATC's were "forced" to join the flight deck, but that's not happening. Quite a few of the very junior controllers that go on a trip are either not yet rated and thus have (with due respect) not a great deal to offer you. It's good to see young people like b-head (who has contributed on this thread) to be showing so much enthusiasm for flight deck travel. I know some crews resent having a "visitor" on board, and I recall my own feelings of uneasiness when I was a 20 year old trainee controller and told by some grumpy Ansett 727 -100 Captain to "sit there and shut up" all the way from Brisbane to Darwin and back. A bad example, I know, as I don't think that sort of mentality is prevelant these days.

My advice to ATC Management:
1. Introduce a system whereby ATC's need to go on a famil trip annually.
2. Does not have to submit a report.
3. It's fine for Student controllers to ride, but the emphasis should be on rated controllers
4. If at all practical, the controllers should be in pairs, so that a feeling of "S**t I'm all alone against these guys" doesn't erode their confidence.
6 The flight needs to be in CAD's time, not the Controllers own.
7. I've heard from some recent (junior) controllers on famil trips that they have been forced to stand and wait clear of the aerobridge (by groundstaff) to board after the pax. To me this is bull****. The flight starts (well it should) when the cockpit master switch is turned on, and much of the interesting part of the flight is taken up by preflight preparation. The visitor should be a part of this.

Sorry...too many words, in the space of a few words "It's the bureaucracy"