PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical accident Chieftain at Tullamarine airport.
Old 13th Jun 2013, 00:54
porch monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much right rnuts. Traps for young players I guess. The controller will only produce the required boost to make the rated 350 hp, which varies with the ambient conditions. There is a chart available from lycoming/piper giving the correcting factors for the boost check. Never used to see much more than 44 or 45 inches on those cold MB nights. In summer tho, another story. iIRC the remaining engine on the accident a/c was found to be under performing to the tune of about 30 hp or so. There really is no way to get a max weight chieftain around a circuit under those conditions, especially if it is at the MTOW associated with the Vortex kit. SOME unscrupulous operators were intentionally setting max MAP low, thinking they were saving themselves some wear and tear. Worst one I saw was 39" on t/o. Aborted and sent it back poste haste. My reference to young players is that you wouldn't have any idea about the fiddle, unless you actually understood how the system worked, and had an idea about what you should actually get on the gauges in those ambient conditions.

P.S. Don't have one to hand anymore so I stand to be corrected, but the vortex kit stc had a 3 minute limit for T/O power, but didn't apply to engine out operations.

Last edited by porch monkey; 13th Jun 2013 at 00:58.