PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LTAI Missed approach procedure
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2013, 17:49
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd also do what was written on the plate, which a continuous climb to 2,700' but not turning until above 1250' AND 5DME outbound. If it were otherwise, it would be written in the manner of the examples Zeffy gave.

1250' at 5 miles in your average jet/turboprop looks like a GPWS warning as ground clearance reduces to around 500', which is one good reason not to be there.

Separation is a bit of a red herring here if you're talking about multiple failures. If it's just the radio on the ground, then we talk to each other in the air:

''where are you XXX? Antalya seems to have gone quiet.''
''I've just gone around, blocked runway, climbing to 2,700 then to the VOR'.''
''OK, I'll go back up to 4,000''...etc.

If someone in the air goes non-radio, then they follow the locally published procedure or do something generic if there isn't one. ATC can hold/vector other traffic while the non-communicating aircraft does its thing. There is TCAS to keep an eye on as well.

If everyone goes incommunicado at the same time, then you've got a problem. If their transponders are still working, then they're not going to hit each other but it'll take a little bit of application to get people in, probably waiting for each to land before starting the procedure. The guys at the top of the stack would probably go somewhere else.

''Standard separation'' is for when things are going, well, standardly. There are places all over the world, North America & Europe for example, where planes in 'free flight' will lose separation relatively rapidly without positive ATC. The prospect doesn't seem to cause high levels of anxiety and this is in airspace where there are relatively few defined levels...