PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QWI Course
Thread: QWI Course
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2013, 12:39
Idle Reverse

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
QFI Value

Ham Fisted

(Quote : “ . . a Big Airline near London attaches no special value to QFIs “ )

And that’s exactly why I said most airlines !

The Big Airline near London has always been as you describe. I well remember chatting with an ex-RAF mate over a beer in a sandy climate somewhere who, at that time, was a FO with said airline. He’d been into the job for 2 yrs and when the chance came along he applied for a role as a Training FO ( not many other airlines offer that role ? ).

When asked why he thought he had sufficient experience to apply for the role after just 2 yrs with the company he merely said that having previously been the boss of the C130 OCU for 3 yrs might mean he could perhaps have something to offer.

Big Airline told him to go back to the line and wait until he was more experienced.

So you are right, the Big Airline near London puts little weight on the QFI ticket for it’s trainers but as a general statement the military QFI ticket is (IMHO) perhaps the most practical qualification to bring with you when you leave the service(s). Hats off to the QWI boys on the Sqn but outside, in general, a QFI ticket is more valuable . . . . ?

A knowledgeable interviewing board of course will be able to see the inherent skills that come with a QWI applicant . . . but my experience of getting a job / training job outside has shown the QFI ticket to be more useful.

Ps. Having tossed in the QFI hand grenade earlier, I have to say, the anticipated in-coming has been surprisingly light !??! . . I initially only wanted a little banter !