PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2013, 08:33
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAPS deployment is expected to result in loss of the airframe and, depending upon adverse external factors such as high deployment speed, low altitude, rough terrain or high wind conditions, may result in severe injury or death to the occupants. Because of this, CAPS should only be activated when any other means of handling the emergency would not protect the occupants from serious injury.
The above from Cirrus makes sobering reading and not quite the pull the CAPS at the first sign of a warning light as some seem to suggest.
I noted a referral to strong winds soemthing I have tried to discuss which Rick had poo pood as literally insignificant in a descending Cirrus under a chute.
My message throughout this has been to highlight what I could see as problem areas over built up cities, strong winds, neglecting basic handling skills especially PFLs and being lured into situations you cannot cope with through confidence in the CAPS as a get out of jail for free.
I went over the top with frustration at Ricks everything in the garden is rosy attitude to CAPS and again apologize for referring to excuse for a pilot. I was out of order!

Pace