PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2013, 07:36
stevelup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
Would someone be kind enough to post a link or the relevant material where Cirrus give such detailed instructions on the use of the chute? Rick I am sure you can publish that here as I do not have up to date access to the latest Cirrus instructions on the use of the chute.
Last I saw was on engine failure which was conventional glide clear and only in the event of no suitable forced landing site CONSIDER the chute.
I presume a heck of a lot has changed since then so lets see the official chute instructions from Cirrus.
The POH states:-

If the engine fails at altitude, pitch as necessary to establish best glide speed. While gliding toward a suitable landing area, attempt to identify the cause of the failure and correct it. If altitude or terrain does not permit a safe landing, CAPS deployment may be required. Refer to Section 10, Safety Information, for CAPS deployment scenarios and landing considerations.

Which seems pretty reasonable?

And:-

CAPS deployment is expected to result in loss of the airframe and, depending upon adverse external factors such as high deployment speed, low altitude, rough terrain or high wind conditions, may result in severe injury or death to the occupants. Because of this, CAPS should only be activated when any other means of handling the emergency would not protect the occupants from serious injury.

Which is hardly encouraging reckless abandon when pulling the handle!