PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 19:34
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace I will let Rick answer in full as directed to him but on the point of hitting people on the ground

a) Any sane pilot will if still capable try and glide or fly to as clear an area as possible to save his own skin if nothing else. Selfish bastard or not he will be trying to preserve his own life.

b) Most of the 30+ plus pulls to date are over sparsely populated areas.

c) The noise of the Rocket gets the attention of the vast majority of the population.

d) Even looking down on populated areas I think the statistical chance of hitting a person is remote, maybe a building or vehicle is a higher chance but it has not happened in the last decade.

e) Eventually it must happen but insignificant in terms of the big picture compared to pedestrians getting killed by road vehicles, or swimmers killed by speed boats etc, it happens inevitably.

f) What is the alternative, an aircraft travelling at 60-70 knots or considerably more rocketing into buildings doing significantly more damage.

So as an argument I see it as insignificant to the main debate on the pro's and cons of the chute.