PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 18:56
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick

I understand what you are trying to say but it's not totally accurate!
Your vertical descent will only happen on a still air day!
I saw a cirrus deployment on film at altitude! Admittedly the winds at altitude must have been strong but the aircraft was travelling horizontally at what must have been twice or more if the vertical speed!
We all know the damage that can happen in a 30 mph crash in a car so on reasonably strong wind days not only is there vertical speed but forward speed to smash into building or whatever solid that is there!
It was pure luck that the aircraft in this situation came down where it did and not onto people ?
The police made that statement ! A six year old child will look up and get out if the way? I think not!
You still have not answered my question regarding engine failure on windy days ? You take to the chute I would rather take an into wind forced landing where I have control of where my aircraft is going rather than being a passenger to where I am taken to and on top of whoever is in my way !
Sorry we have a responsibility to others rather than just saving our own bacon and I think you are misleading yourself!
If you have no choice in an unflyable aircraft you have no choice so pray you don't take others out !
But sorry a flyable aircraft and the pilot should be ashamed pulling over a densely populated area for that pilot is an excuse for a pilot not a pilot

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Jun 2013 at 19:00.