PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 17:39
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "I agree with the last post (I've changed my post to the present tense given that the acquisition hasn't happened yet), but the question is should DL try to run VS akin to LH & BD? Branson wouldn't want that but I still wouldn't want to be a 49% shareholder in VS. My money could go the same was as SQ's."

This is a good point about being a 49% shareholder in VS. DL must have some good reason because on the face of it, it does look as if DL would repeat the SQ experience.

As for VS being run in a LH/BD fashion: it didn't end well for BD!

Quote: "On another issue, I'm a bit surprised that VS are happy to operate ORD & YVR on a seasonal basis. Doubtless the routes have a significant seasonal bias with higher yields in the summer, but I would have thought that they would not be able to make deals with large corporations and travel agencies so would miss out on high yield business business traffic. Any thoughts on this anyone?"

Surprised there isn't enough premium traffic for all-year operations on these routes, particularly YVR, as there's only AC and BA on that route (once/day each).

Quote: "I am surprised by ORD - but to operate YVR year round they may need to abandon Cape Town, which uses two aircraft and slots in the winter."

Aren't aircraft being freed by the abandoned/suspended NBO and ACC, and by the switch to A330s on some routes?