PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 16:45
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine failure? Not over open fields or strong wind days
Pace our lists as would many others be virtually identical, other than the old chestnut..

You would prefer to land in what appears a doable open field.

I would prefer the chute as a safer option for all off airport landing's. (other than the strong 30 knot + wind factor when a decision will be made based on terrain)

As per my previously done to death reasons of not knowing surface, wires, stumps, ditches, water logged etc. I think it is fine to have a personal preference based on perception of risk for each. The Cirrus small wheels and Cart Wheeling on a rough or boggy surface are a real factor.

Anyway engine failure is pretty rare and most fatalities are loss of control or Pilot error.

There are a surprising amount of Cirrus fatalities due to botched landings, botched go around's, and base to final turn resulting in a stall. None of which the CAPS helps in any way and all Pilot Error, often down to poor or inadequate training (from what I understand)

Regarding N936CT the incident plane, just curious does any one know where it was based?

Or How the Pilot is doing post incident or any feed back?

I imagine he is bruised physically and mentally, must never the less be quite a traumatic experience despite walking away.