PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 14:57
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankly with statistics you can use them to promote whatever you want but I still feel a lot more thought needs to go into training over the chute and its use.
You and others here write as if we are two camps the for the chute and the against the chute. I am totally for the chute but not blindly used

Pace
I read recently that we should train to avoid the use of the chute, that makes perfect sense and I think that agree's with what you and many others are saying.

Also we should train when to use it if things do go wrong for what ever reason and be prepared to use it, it is certainly part of my briefing before every departure.

My understanding is quite a lot of Cirrus Pilot's (very vague I know) are not properly trained on when to use the chute, in fact for the first couple of years of ownership I would go as far as saying that I had not seriously thought about the what, why and when scenario's. I like to think now after quite a few hours in the Sim I am crystal clear on my own SOP for CAPS activation and hope in the heat of the moment make that decision in time if it ever occur's.

Mainly thanks to COPA it is now very firmly in my mind as one of the tools we have.

In terms of blindly using it as a comfort blanket and alternative to training I guess this must apply to a small number of pilots but not an attitude I have ever come across.