PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 14:16
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been stated that safety- equipment encourages risk-taking....initially, that may well be true.

having grown up in the pre-seat-belt era, Ican state that there was, indeed an acute conciousness of it.
Currently I'm driving a turbocharged 2-litre Volvo with some sort of traction control, ABS, airbags all over the place etc.
I do not think of these things when I go anywhere!
if conditions are such, and I'm in the mood, I may use more of the considerable performance and handling envelope than normal....but I never consider,"OOH! if I overcook it, there are all these gismos that "might" work and save my stupid neck"

Because of the nature of Aviation and the licencing requirements, it seems to attract people from the higher levels of the gene-pool.
Unfortunately, almost any knuckle-dragger can get a vehicle-driving licence-and some just omit that formality!- That, I'd suggest, has more to do with the risk-assesssment or lack thereof.

If I were considering a similar aircraft to a Cirrus (a taildragger-fan actually) Then, certainly the BRS would have a huge influence on my buying-decision. As regards it's eventual utilisation, I'd hope never to try it......Increased insurance or refusal and severe damage to my Airframe would be uppermost in my mind....save the aircraft and it'll save me!-or am I being simplistic?

Whether it attracts the "more money than sense" brigade, I don't know.

If a "bump" is INEVITABLE then safety-systems give a better chance of a happy outcome....by that time, you've already run out of skill and ideas so, on balance, a BRS is a huge plus.