PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 13:40
Steevo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally am not referring to Cirrus pilots in general. My comments are not also referring to the general population either.

But with any safety device, it does add an element of confidence knowing that there is a way out if things go horribly wrong. I guess it seems to be aimed at Cirrus pilots as they are one of the few that have the chute system by default so it stands out. Also, the Cirrus aircraft is certified well above most over aircraft that have BRS systems fitted so those aircrafts are not certified to fly in some of the conditions that Cirrus would be allowed to. If there were more aircrafts that had a parachute fitted as standard then I think the focus would be taken away from Cirrus pilots in general.

I find it very difficult to comment on this one incident as the facts to what actually happened are very much unknown. Until that time it could have been a very genuine and unavoidable reason why the chute was deployed. Once the facts are out, it could go one of 2 ways. If it was something like a rough running engine and the pilot pulled the chute out of panic then I am sure the comments will not go in his favour. If it turns out that something physically went wrong with the aircraft that was unrecoverable through no fault of his own then the comments regarding chutes are going to be very much in the favour of the pilot.

It could have been a very different story. The aircraft came down in a populated area that could have caused injury or death to many people on the ground (a school not too far away). If the incident was that bad that the pilot had no other option but to take that risk then there isn't really much to say. But if it turns out that the incident was actually quite minor and pulling the chute was just a very easy way out then I am sure people will have a lot to say.