PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oldest RPT pilot
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 09:27
growahead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a very personal decision. Some may have to stay on for financial reasons, but there comes a time when one should hang up the hat, so to speak. If, after 30-40 years doing the same thing, it's a bit sad that a new interest can't be pursued. It is hard to walk away, but past early to mid 60's, anything can happen, and I'm sure performance diminishes. The memory is not so good, reflexes are definitely slower, complicated documents need that second reading to make sense, and the late hours/early mornings are all a bit more taxing. Of course, it can be argued that the experience equals or outweighs the downside. And once you've taken the walk, your perception changes, and you see things in a different light. I saw quite a few colleagues stay that bit too long, and it's sad to watch. Better to leave a year early, than a day late. From 60 on, if you can, chase your dreams, and don't put off anything you plan to do. One can still maintain involvement in aviation, but on one's own terms. I'd never question anyone who stays on while they can perform to the required standard, it's completely personal. You may be aware of the aged pilot involved in the Learjet crash in Mexico recently...there's definitely a limit, better to walk than be pushed.

Last edited by growahead; 11th Jun 2013 at 09:35.