PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hats off to the RPG!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2013, 08:09
Al Murdoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what would YOU do in their situation Goaround?
I mean I'm just wondering, what is the practical solution for individuals who want to be pilots? I see the options as:
- Ryanair/Easyjet - and run the risk of being "shunned" by some small minded cretin some years down the road.
- Instructing - extremely poor pay and leads nowhere.
- Flybe (if they even recruit anymore) - pay is so pitiful you are effectively paying more for your type rating than at Ryanair.
Aside from a few other lucky breaks that some people have managed to get, these are essentially the options if you want a job on graduation these days.
I'm not saying anything that has happened is right or wrong, but I do think there is a case for offering practical advice to people entering the industry. I don't think pillorying them for making tough choices and succeeding in a very difficult environment is helpful to anyone. You might want to take a look at the cadets coming into Ryanair before you dismiss them as hopeless pilots because they've had to pay for a rating. In the most part they are highly dedicated, focussed individuals who excel at what they do.
Ryanair guys really can't win can they? Do you remember the criticism of them for accepting a non-unionised position? Now that they are trying to get something done, they are a load of whingers that brought it on themselves.
I think you only have to look at this thread to see why the industry is f*cked and it's not because of Ryanair. It is because we, the pilots that is, are collectively stupid. So instead of bitching amongst ourselves (which is what the managers of these outfits want), why don't we all try to work together a little bit? The RPG is a positive step towards that.