PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2013, 21:58
Danny42C

Bits & Bobs.

ancientaviator62,

Yes, there's nothing like a bit of quiet blackmail to hurry the system along, is there ? As soon as you start making a nuisance of yourself and look like trouble for them, they cave in and do the job they should've done in the first place (it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease !)

And what a blessed relief it must be, never to have to fear a 1369 or the "Feast of the Passover" again...........D

behagligpolitiker ,

You learn something every day ! The words do seem to have a common root in both languages. Now that I come to think of it (and still unable to get my hands on a dictionary), I think "unbehaglich" has a "spooky" or "uncanny" connotation. Not too far from "nasty". Someone will put me right.....D.

ricardian,

This brings to mind the practice (mentioned some time ago) of mounting Guards when there is absolutely nothing to guard. So long as the letter of the Regulations is observed, it doesn't matter how ridiculous the result is....D.

smujsmith,

That was a bit hard ! Was it a RAFP who grabbed you, or PC Plod ? I don't see how this can constitute a Service offence. In 1951, I was once "done" for "Leaving a Motor Vehicle on a Public Road during the Hours of Darkness without Showing Lights", and it only cost me 5/- at the Magistrates' Court.

£5 fine - horrendous ! - and you couldn't get your money back. Pity you didn't know about ancientaviator's Section 181 (Redress of Grievance) above (is it too late now ?) How about petitioning the Crown for a free Pardon (how does one set about that ?)......D.

All interesting stuff,

Cheers, Danny.