PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Into Ireland (From the UK) Help!!
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2013, 19:27
kindupnorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew from Gamston to Caernarfon - Weston last year with only around 100 hrs total time. Doddle ! Make sure you have your paperwork in order as i made the mistake of deciding to stop over at Caernarfon for a re-fuel prior to departure and didn't change the GAR form, I had put 2 flight plans in, one for each leg. (first one mainly as a test before it really mattered over the Irish sea)

As soon as i landed at Caernafon i was met my a nice chap from special branch wondering why i had a flight plan in to land at Caernafon and no gar form saying i was departing from there (form showed departure airport as gamston)

Checked all our bags and copied our passports, explained the mistake and he was very understanding and happy to let us carry on to dublin. about 1/3rd of the way across the irish sea after i had circled the coast to build altitude (coast out holyhead to avoid the unmanned aircraft testing area) we got handed over to dublin radar who instantly wanted us to descend to 2000ft . Down we went. Routed via pidgeonhouse chimneys (big red and white towers) down the river liffey and then onto western.

Go onto westerns website to check the VFR routing and local procedures.
Send them a copy of your GAR form too ! I got a lift into dublin by a local pilot (around 25 euros in a taxi) booked into travel lodge and had a good couple of days!!

Enjoy

Have Fun