PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2013, 16:59
Lonewolf_50

Received 408 Likes on 254 Posts
- as ridiculous as holding a large amount of back stick well above max permitted altitude? I refer you to Oakape's views.
There have been some references in the past few pages to "max altitude" which I thought we had put to bed a couple of years ago. If I may review my notes:

coffin corner was not actually the issue here
Flight planned altitude was FL 350 with a planned climb to 380 at some point (which due to temp not developing as forecast was apparently not viable at some point before the stall)

To make sure I am clear, had they begun at, say, FL 300 and held back stick for as long as they did, stalling somewhere baround FL 330 - FL 350, the aircraft would still have stalled, and not because of a max altitude broken.

While I appreciate the impact on lift creation of variations in altitude, I don't recall from the report that a service ceiling was busted, but rather that the problem was holding a attitude too high, for too long, to maintain lift.

What am I mis-reading in BOAC's and Clandestino's previous (recent) posts on the matter of "maximum altitude" regarding the report and the series of actions and events that led to achieving minimum altitude?