PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain 'At Home' days.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2013, 11:52
NutLoose

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,252 Posts
If I remember correctly, BoB Open Days were on the weekend following the 15th Sept. So was there at Finningley, Sept 20th 1964, in No 1 Blue, blancoed belt and shiny boots, doing something of supreme importance - like pointing people to the loo.
Two were memorable for me, one was at Saints in 76 where they used to drag out the ME410, Tony, FW190 etc and run them, indeed i was on one team that did it for a record of the engine sounds that was sold.

I was stuck demonstrating to the public an H.E.I.U with ignitors cracking away for all to see, and can remember some little kid about 10 asking me if it could be used to fire the ejector seats.

The other was at Brize Norton and we took a Puma with a Gimpy mounted in the door, I spent a happy hour letting the kids cock and dry fire the weapon trying to shoot the RAF Policemen that was plodding about.... the kids and families loved it, but the plod seemed perturbed that everytime he turned round there was a Gimpy pointing at him

I know one shouldn't, the other highlight was a group of about 10 nurses appeared and asked if they could have a look around, so in they climbed hitching up their skirts to get in and not doing a lot for my blood pressure, they mentioned they were going to Odious soon and asked for my name.....
About 2 weeks later they all arrived at Odious on an official visit and as they walked into the building they all recognised me and said hi NL... needless to say my ranking in all things female went up in the world when people realised they all knew me

Last edited by NutLoose; 10th Jun 2013 at 11:54.