PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New engineering apprentice scheme
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2013, 04:52
Widewoodenwingswork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I should have said that (in my experience) about 50% of the kids who go on to get licences, go straight into an apprenticeship and have TAFE blocks throughout the next four years, the other 50% start with a one year Aeroskills Cert. IV Course and then end up doing the CASA basics and SOE just like the first half because the Cert. IV system is not widely understood and encouraged.

Obviously that option is about to become the only option available as they will stop offering CASA basic exams mid next year and won't be processing CAR31 applications into 2015.

The biggest driving factor is that if a company has a choice between two applicants, and one will have to be sent to TAFE two or three times a year for weeks at a time, the Aeroskills guy usually wins. Is s/he ever compensated for the year he spent living without pay (except for his Domino's job), and the expense of putting himself through school? Nope. The apprentice however is paid all the way though, given allowances to travel to and from TAFE, accumulates holidays at TAFE etc etc. If I had it my way again, I know what I'd do.

There is still no substitute for a traditional four year apprenticeship.
Try telling CASA that. It's a thing of the past in Australian aviation.

P.S. Having done an apprenticeship means absolutely nothing more than having worked for 3 or 4 years as a tradesman's assistant when it comes to applying for a licence.