PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pension Calculator
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2013, 12:57
the_easy_life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin Rouge, Just this once,

Thanks for your replies. In my view (purely a heavy pilots one) what one lost from not joining the airlines as soon as possible after the captains ocu return of service, was made up for by the lump sum and full pension at the age of 38, + service life (which I enjoy) + service perks.

Now that equation looks to be significantly skewed by a huge reduction in pension along with continuing eroding of perks that being part of the service might not make up for. What annoys me is that I'm really enjoying my job right now but feel a significant pressure to consider other options as I have a duty to do what's right for my family as well as myself. I know the civil market isn't guaranteed but surely people like me, and the considerable amount of more disgruntled pilots than me, will see the 'airlines' as a much better option. Where will this leave sqn's, experience wise, in 10 years?

People have already made the argument to me 'you didn't sign up for the money did you' no I didn't, absolutely not. But I am entitled to be able to plan my future and with 10 years left until 38 point reductions this big are difficult to manage.

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I shall wait a while and see where things sit approaching 1st April 15 and make my decision then, as I expect a lot of my colleagues will also!!