PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New engineering apprentice scheme
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2013, 11:18
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressive nails it on the head ! Getting away from just lock-wiring and filing a block and actually doing a 100hrly occasionally. I met so many guys that have said "I wish they had taught us how to do a 100hrly"

Or making a loom with skills such as wire stripping , soldering , terminating , pinning out and installing . A broader range of basic hand skills

I certainly don't blame the student as they are just part of the process. I dont expect a student to come out as the complete package but being useful after a year would be good . Like knowing how not to strip a screw , inflate a tyre safely or take off a panel . All people that aren't licenced need to be supervised.

As for the 70% mark I plucked that figure from no-where , I think it was 75% at a well known training school when I attended a course there. The sample questions they handed out were almost a mirror of the Cert IV exam which we did as practice. I scored 97% and 98% in those exams but as a LAME I did the CASA exam which I got low 80%'s in.

Also students were run through terminolgy they didn't know . They had no training aids in the class , like if your teaching say ADF's then get all the parts of an ADF and show people what it looks like . Show operation in a live aircraft when possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't instructors going to be required to be licenced under the new system ?. How would they be required to stay current . Do they need to work on 'live' aircraft to stay current ?