PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New engineering apprentice scheme
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2013, 10:32
anthos92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBT

As a graduate from an aeroskills CBT syllabus myself, I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong person.
Am I incorrect to say that as a requirement of hiring a trainee or apprentice from a direct entry theory course is that they are partnered in the workplace with a trade qualified mentor? Tell me what 1yr apprentice you have hired that learns how to ground run and fault find a system within the first year of TAFE.
If you hire a graduate from one of these courses, and he's not the golden troop you want within the first six months, is that still the training providers fault or the fact you haven't mentored them properly in the work place?
Is correct that no trainee graduates from a theory school actually competent in a task? A trainee is only competent once he/she is actually assessed by an Australian aerospace assessor who then signs their logbook as being competent one he.she demonstrated competence in the assessed task.
Also, the new skills log in use really isn't that hard to navigate, most supervisors get frustrated because they don't know what they are looking at and give up, when there is a clear explanation in the front of all logs on how it works and how to use it.

Whoever thinks the passing a 12 month full time Aeroskills course is easy, I can tell you its not.I have seen some 'classis' engineers who have been in the field for 20yrs. If they were exposed with the same expectations when they completed their apprenticeships, they would not be 20yr engineers today but most likely toilet cleaners.

To the fool who puts this down to Gen Y, You need to look at the generation of folk who develop these systems and thrust them upon us. Most likely the same aged folk who armed us with high interest easy credit cards.. But don't worry, we can be the scapegoats you blame for this, then expect to fund your retirement!