PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2013, 06:50
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
II understood just make sure you are not ignoring the the fact that every other offshore type has suffered fatalities, except the EC225.

To your ditching question. The Ec225 will establish into a zero Groundspeed hover at 30 feet automatically from the cruise by the pilots simply using trims. It then can descend vertically, in a geostationary descent, to the surface. After that a degree of luck needs to be on the crews side IF they are truly zero/zero visibility.

Ditching statistics are in the Pumas favour but we have to be realistic. There is always risk as there is to all other types.

Please remember you are gifted with a 30 min emlube system in the EC225. No other type except S61 has this. The 92 Newfoundland accident demonstrates the severe danger of attempting to continue runnin dry.

We forget that in both EC225 ditchings, the integrity of the warning systems, multiple in dependant indications, left both crews in no doubt as to the action they subsequently took which arguably saved the lives of all on board. This is in itself inherent safety. This is not the case in many of the other types flying.

The interim solution for the current shaft is robust, has redundancy in application and will prevent any future shaft failures in actual flight provided of course the AAIB and CAA agree with the details ofthe analysis. On paper it is bombproof.

There a thousands of issues like this affecting aircraft all over the world. I suspect you do not think twice about climbing on board an A380. It is a very poor day indeed when we all lose faith in the integrity of the AAIB and the Regulator. What do you then follow. rumour, gut instinct or hysteria.

We, the flight crew, trust the systems that are in place to keep us safe within the very best possible intentions. For that reason I fly the EC225 today, even with its restrictions.

I have the greatest respect for our offshore workers but I know most of them recognise the risks associated with offshore work and the helicopter flight is just one off them.

Your department should take some comfort, that should the route back to service be certified by EASA and CAA that for the time being, the EC225 Will be the safest helicopter on the North Sea.

There is no place in this industry for fear or scare mongering. It is far to technical to be treated with such one dimensional emotive responses.

II PM me and I will arrange some face time with you and your colleagues and we will happily show you any aspect of the EC225 as discussed.

Best Regards

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 9th Jun 2013 at 06:53.