PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2013, 01:38
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
TANGO, in respect of your comment on day/ night operating limitations:

Whilst the current work on enhancing the HUMS and interim MGB modifications and NDT inspection protocols are specifically aimed at preventing another ditching, the EC225, modified with the Light Ground Speed mode (all O&G models), is capable of an emergency landing or ditching in zero/zero visibility. That is to say, in the dark with absolutely no visual references. Fully automatic capability. It can also do this in whiteout, brownout, blackout and at the bottom of an ILS.

Just so we are clear. NO OTHER HELICOPTER IN THE WORLD TODAY can do this.

The only variable remaining is the Sea State. The AS332 family has been operating for many years with over 4m flight hours. There have been several intentional and one unintentional ditching on the design over the years. Not one has rolled over!! No one has perished in a 332/225 ditching.

We have had one CFIT with loss of life. The Cormorant Alpha disaster. Eurocopters response to this was to design the most advanced AFCS in the world today with full flight envelope protection. With the AFCS deployed correctly, the EC225 will not allow the crew to fly into the ground or Sea. In fact,

Airspeed is protected
Altitude is protected
Vertical Speed envelope is protected
The free wheels are protected
NR is protected when OEI even uncoupled
Power is protected AEO even uncoupled
Flight path is protected by the Go-around
With TCAS 2 option fitted, if the crew fail to react to an airborne threat of collision, the AFCS will automatically couple up and fly the helicopter out of danger.

Neither Sikorsky or AW helicopters have such protections or a zero/zero landing capability.

If you are an EC225 pilot reading this and do not recognise any of the above, go to your employer and ask for more training or PM me and I will help.

Eurocopter has invested in, and deployed, 3 x EC225 Full Flight Simulators around the globe in recognition that these advanced systems are pointless if the crew are not properly trained. More simulators will follow. Crews can be exposed to scenarios in a safe training environment to help them exploit the maximum benefit from the safety systems that have been developed. To achieve this properly it is vital now, more than ever before, that simulators built for this purpose carry the OEM data pack so that simulator behaviour matches exactly aircraft behaviour. This is why Eurocopter build simulators themselves. It is not to exploit the training market. It is to enhance the training capability to support the product in service.

EC225 crews can now be better trained. More aware of their aircraft systems and most importantly, have a vast array of safety systems at their disposal to complete their mission.

If you are a passenger in Aberdeen and have any questions about the capabilities of the EC225 or are worried that what I have written is salesman BS PM me and I will happily demonstrate all I have written to you.

DB