PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2013, 03:39
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For now Lagos is.

But who knows what the future holds for even that route along with the long term future of Virgin Atlantic!

Other then the recent domestic routes which are actually flown by EI and the addition of a seasonal service to Vancouver plus the tie up with Delta but where is the expansion going to come from flying with their own metal?

Virgin also make a note of a lack of suitable slots at LHR when they have recently been leasing some to other airlines plus if they really wanted to purchase new slots then they have had every opportunity to do so just as other airlines have easily bought them recently.

Virgin Atlantic have discontinued the following routes Kingston, Mauritius, Nairobi, Port Harcourt and now Accra and I thought Africa was supposed to be booming and it is as I have seen it for myself but these so called emerging markets are where Virgin should be thinking of expansion especially destinations where BA dont currently serve.

I am surprised they have not tried a LHR to Kuala Lumper route where they could code share with Air Asia on their large network and make big inroads into the emerging markets of south east Asia.

It will be interesting to see if Virgin Atlantic ever do take up those A380s on order as I can not see where any future expansion is coming from unless they have them in a high density layout to Orlando.

Virgin need to make up their mind regarding joining an alliance and Skyteam being the most obvious because if they leave it any longer there will be no Virgin Atlantic as these routes need feed from both ends and without that the airline is doomed sure it has the future JV with Delta and hopefully the possible tie up with AF/KL but it will be interesting times ahead for Virgin.