PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can Heathrow so many movements?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2013, 19:30
On the beach

Location: On a foreign shore trying a new wine diet. So far, I've lost 3days!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DelayReducer

"If you're strictly looking at runway capacity the real theoritcal stats you need are:

Occupancy Time
Arrival Separations
Departure Separations
Line-up times
Wake Turbulence Mix

They are the fundamental drivers".

I think you will find that the "fundamental drivers" in the "real non-theoretical" world, where most of us work, are:-

1. The number and positioning of RETs.

2. The training of the other "fundamental drivers", (i.e. those at the pointy end) in the use of those RETs at the speeds they were designed to be used at. That's down to the Check Captains of the airlines involved, ensuring that their line pilots understand how this affects their and every other airlines "on-time" operations.

Arrival separations are written in stone, until Mr. Airbus and Mr. Boeing get their act together and learn how to design planes that don't create wake turbulence.

Departure separations, same as above, direct your complaints to the perpetrators of wake turbulence. Controllers just have to adapt to aircraft manufacturers shortcomings and make their mistakes work.

Line-up times. Generally not a problem in mixed mode. You can't clear one to take off until the lander has cleared the same runway. And if they are that slow that they can't get into position and spooled up ready to roll the instant that the lander is clear, then they won't be flying out of your airport unsupervised for much longer.

"Wake turbulence mix". Now that is something that ATC can and do, subject to traffic, influence. A "medium" should always be ahead of a "heavy" if the two are arriving at the same time and conversely, a "medium" should always depart ahead of a "heavy" . Sadly, life isn't quite so simple and increasingly "heavies" outnumber "mediums" at major airports.

And that, my friend, is why the world needs Air Traffic Controllers.

On the beach