PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US EMS Crashes-2013
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2013, 17:54
tottigol

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SAS, I said let's stick to condolences because there's nothing new about the way these crews kill themselves.
90% or more of the times there's nothing wrong with the aircraft and even though it may be too early to speculate, down deep inside we know or have a feeling for what happened, like too many times before.
A Bell 206L (or any other unstabilized single for what matters) flown at night, possibly in marginal WX conditions is a disaster waiting to happen.
NVGs are not of much help in cases like this.

How many times have we witnessed similar accidents in commercial aviation, only to say "well I am not going to fall for a situation like that" or better yet "Wheew, that was close but now I know better".

As long as the FAA allows this type of operations with this type of aircraft with marginal IFR equipment and crew proficiency training there will be blood. There's no way around it, the US EMS industry is going to remain a widowmaker.

It kills more Americans in the USA than any terror, EVERY YEAR, yet since the real rulers are not the FAA or the NTSB, but the operators who own those two Federal entities and for as long as those CFOs are allowed to value their money over the lives of their employees,there will be blood.

So you all EMS cockpit crews have my condolences, who knows which one of you is next?