PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2013, 11:21
Luc Lion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Remember: the plane was still under power, and still flying
Originally Posted by BitMoreRightRudder
The Captain of the BA aircraft involved in this incident elected to fly an aeroplane that was flying perfectly safely back into Heathrow because that was the safest option available to him. At no point was anyone under the flight path in danger.
@Lonewolf_50, @BitMoreRightRudder,
I also think that choosing a return to Heathrow was as good a decision as diverting to Stansted. There are so many little things that matter when dealing with an emergency : staying with the same APP controller, assessing controlability at low speed, checking what is lost...

However I can only disagree with the suggested reasoning : "One engine was providing enough thrust, therefore the airplane was safe". The crew of G-EUOE was aware of or suspecting structural damage and must have been worried of low speed controlability. I guess that the length of the flight before final landing is caused by a climb request to a level where low speed controlability tests could be performed safely.

Remember El AL 1862 : the crew was unaware that a safe landing was impossible unless coming in at high speed (>260 kt) and on a steep slope.