PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft lands in Cheltenham garden
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2013, 08:26
thborchert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And now you listen carefully ;-)

There are some who peddle the idea of pulling the shoot for literally any threatening situation and there are those of us who can see problems in doing so in some situations!
Nobody has painted a picture as black and white as you make it. Here are the facts: Nobody (in the aircraft nor on the ground) has ever died when the chute was pulled within parameters. Those "negatives" that come with a chute simply have not happened. In all probability, a "yet" must be added to that sentence. But so far - nothing. OTOH, when you look at fatal Cirrus accidents, about half of them seem to have had a good chance to end without fatalities had the chute been pulled.

What's the conclusion to draw from that? What advice do you give people? Do you save lives by urging people to pull more often? Or do you make up fantasy scenarios of what could happen if something might happen and frighten people into not pulling? Quite a responsibility you assume when talking about pulling or not...

Regarding false security read up the accident reports and some make you feel ashamed that some of these aircraft drivers call themselves pilots
I have read every one of those reports. And many more. Fact is, pilots don't do more or differently stupid things in a Cirrus than in other aircraft.

Also, what makes you feel ashamed makes me humble. I don't consider myself to be a superior or in any way special pilot. If it can happen to them, it might just happen to me. In fact, the question of "how could someone arrive at doing something that seems so obviously stupid in hindsight?" is the one question that bothers me the most with regard to my personal safety when flying. I suggest that's a more useful approach than "feeling ashamed that some of these aircraft drivers call themselves pilots" if you intend to increase your own safety in flying.

Last edited by thborchert; 7th Jun 2013 at 08:31.