PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest EASA PPL IR looking good especially for FAA IR holders
Old 7th Jun 2013, 07:29
421C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the situation my buddy encountered when he converted the FAA to JAA IR. He did it in 15 hrs (10 FNPT2) + 2ish hrs for the test,.
Thanks, you support my point. Your friend did it in minimum hours.
That was my point, the ATO did not scam him for unnecessary training.

Flying is expensive in the UK. I am not defending that, although I tend to think anyone who thinks they can run an ATO with lower costs is welcome to try. It's a business I would not touch with a barge pole. As I understand it, no-one is forced to go to an ATO and they do publish their prices. There is a difference between a reasonably competitive market which ends up with a high price point and a scam.

The high cost of training can either be
a) because the ATOs are a secret money-making machine, lavishing returns on employees and owners through their scammily-high pricing
or
b) the ATOs costs are high because of the perfect storm of UK circumstances of provincial airports that charge £100 for a light twin approach, fuel at £2/l, CAA approval charges etc etc etc

I have a view that it's b. But anyone convinced it's "a" should surely consider going into the ATO business?

Last edited by 421C; 7th Jun 2013 at 07:44.