PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landing query
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2013, 03:38
flyinkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tecman, that video is not mine, it was not filmed by me and I was unaware of its existence until after it appeared on YouTube. I wish a movie showing proper technique under those conditions exists because I definitely would have posted it as a counterpoint.

I42:

What was the wind speed in terms of steady and gusts and at what angle to the runway?
It was blowing about 17-20 knots at right angles to the runway. It was fairly steady and smooth at altitude but as you can see down low flying was akin to being in a tumble dryer.
Were any contestants (that you didn't show) using the wing-down technique?
As I said, I didn't make that video. As I was competing I didn't see all the landings but the ones I did see were crab and kick. I thought the taildragger would have flown the wing down technique, but the video shows otherwise...
Were there any good landings (apart from yours, of course )?
Mine was not pretty, but nowhere near as bad as those ones. The guy who won the competition put his plane down in the 50 point box like it was on rails. I am trying to think of the percentage of shown vs not shown landings, but at a guess I would say about 75% are not there. Remember this competition was held over about 6 hours.