PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2013, 23:24
framer

Received 479 Likes on 129 Posts
@Framer
I think the issue may be wider than you are considering. There is less discipline in society now and more people are unwilling to accept their responsibilities; less fear of consequences.
I'm all for considering the issue broadly and don't disagree with you. What I do disspear at is when it is considered so narrowly, ie only the front line operational staff's actions are considered. People who are focussing only on the actions of the pilot and the engineer are considering only half ( or even less) of the factors/ decisions that lead to the incident.
This has been well accepted since the mid 90's and I can only assume that the people focussing so narrowly have never recieved any education in the basic anatomy of an accident.
The working environment that the incident occurs in is a key player in determining why it happened and it is likely that changes to the environment ( shifts worked/ training matrix/ workload/ communication lines/ SOP's etc) will be more effective in reducing further incidents than changes to individual front line staff......very likely.