PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2013, 21:00
Ahh de Havilland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mack Trucks - Bulldog Airlines

Mack Trucks established its flight in 1965 soon after the appointment of a proponent of business aviation, Zenon C.R. Hansen, as company President. The flight department was known as Bulldog Airlines (after the company logo) and each aircraft was named “Mack” with the addition of a number signifying its sequence in the fleet. Most of the Bulldog Airlines fleet was fixed wing (2x Beech 18, HS125, Volpar Turboliner, 2x Learjet, Falcon 20, Chieftan, Merlin).

The Rotary wing fleet in a little harder to identify and that is generally from the registrations utilized by Mack. Initially they used registrations N10~1B with the third digit ~ representing the fleet no, then later N~~MT with ~~ being the fleet number. Mack were known to have a JetRanger in addition to the Bell 212, but the rest of what follows is supposition based on the registrations. So we have: N10MT FH-1100, two Bell 212s both using N12MT, N14MT JetRanger, N14MT Gazelle (later became G-BKLS/G-TURP), N12MT S-76.

There are also N1041B & N16MT Bell 47s, and N16MT Robinson R22, but my suspicion is that they are probably not Mack, but quite a fleet all things considered.

There is also a Hiller YH-32-UH Hornet that was registered as N1041B, however very few of these were made for the US military and I don’t know enough about this type to know if they ended on the civil market, but I doubt it, so its unlikely to be a Mack aircraft.