PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2013, 19:22
95i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B(i)8 16 Squadron Laarbruch

I wonder if anybody here could help me with a question concerning the very beginning of Canberras on Laarbruch being equipped with US nuclear bombs.
When did the QRA-business start?
Must have been in 1960. Any exact date?

There is a report by Grp Cpt Wheeler about a C-130 bringing the first nuclear weapons to Laarbruch.
It says: 1960.

Interesting story, by the way:
I suppose far and away the greatest incident during my time at Laarbruch was the arrival of the American tactical nuclear weapons in 1960. We were to be the first RAF station in Germany to
receive these weapons which were to be used by No. 16 Squadron then equipped with Canberras. We had been given due warning that the weapons were going to be flown to us from a base in France. My Wing Commander Flying, then Wing Commander W.E. Colahan ( who has since died ) was under the impression that the weapons would be delivered in a twin-engined C82-Transport. In fact, on the day, they came in a CI30 which is considerably bigger.
-After landing, the C 130 was taxying to the nuclear weapon site when it struck a tree with one of its wings and ruptured its fuel tanks. I had a very difficult situation on my hands because the young and inexperienced American guards, who were fully armed, immediately surrounded the aircraft and wouldn't let the fire-engine on the airfield get anywhere near the aircraft. This
was extremely serious and I had to take a firm stand. I explained that, unless the U.S. guards allowed the fire tender to spread foam on the fuel, because of the nuclear weapons etc., I would have to use force to overpower them. There were not many of them, and they finally and very reluctantly gave way. I had explained to the young captain that we had no interest in looking at
the weapons, but it was most serious to have all the fuel flowing from the aircraft with nothing being done about it. I assured him that I would do all in my power to protect him from his authorities who might consider that he should not have allowed anybody to get near the aircraft.